Sunday, March 06, 2011

Banana Walnut muffins….

One of the first things I did once I started baking was try various recipes for banana walnut muffins. The best recipe I got for the same was from simplyrecipes.com (Click on the link to see the original recipe). I have been wanting to post this recipe for a long time, but was unable to for some reason or the other. This weekend, I had 4 people ask for the recipe, and decided it was time that this recipe enters cyberspace :-)

I modified the recipe a bit, basically because I was using a tray that makes 6 large muffins, and over the few months that I have been baking (almost a year now), I have refined the recipe to make it more fun and unique.

IMG_9533

The ingredients are simple and are given below:

Wet Mix –

2 ripe (over-ripe) bananas

½ cup butter (melted)

¾ cup sugar ( I prefer Brown sugar)

1 egg (beaten)

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

1 tablespoon instant coffee powder

½ cup chopped walnuts ( actually any nuts will do)

Pinch of salt

Dry Mix –

1 cup all purpose flour (ordinary maida)

1 teaspoon baking powder

IMG_9456

The way I go about it is simple. Set the oven up at 180 degrees Celsius (pre-heat), and get the muffin tray ready, by layering it with the paper cups.

Dice the bananas (small bits, but don’t mash). Melt the butter, mix the diced bananas, butter, sugar, vanilla, coffee powder, salt and egg together. Sift the flour and baking powder separately onto a plate. Fold the wet and dry ingredients together. Fill the muffin cups till they are half full, and bake them for about 25 mins, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out almost dry.

Word  of caution, do not mix (fold) the wet and dry ingredients and let them stand. They have to be transferred into the cups and baked immediately. I try and do it within 10-15 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment